Looking to live a healthier lifestyle, but don’t know where to begin? Here are five tips you can incorporate into your daily routine to live a healthier life. Taking the following steps to better your health, you will surely notice a difference in how you feel, both physically and mentally.
- Drink water – Did you know that being dehydrated can cause all sorts of problems ranging from headaches to fatigue? Drinking water throughout the day is one of the most important things you can do for your body. While there are many differing opinions about how much water a person should drink in a single day, the typical recommendation is eight 8oz glasses each day. Try getting a water bottle like this to keep tabs on exactly how much you are drinking each day.
- Move your body – As all health professionals recommend, exercise is extremely important, not only to keep your body in good health, but also your mind. Exercising can boost your mood, alleviate stress, and improve sleep quality. However, for many people, the idea of exercise can cause anxiety, especially to a person who does not have much experience. Walking is the easiest place to start. Walk around your neighborhood for just 10 minutes each day. Eventually, try walking up to 30 minutes a day. You’ll notice a change in your mind and body! Also, being out in sunlight is good for brain function; just another reason to get outside and walk.
- Add more vegetables to your diet - Nutrition plays a huge role in both physical and mental health. Getting the proper amount of nutrients can make or break how a person feels each day. One suggestion in improving nutrition is to add more vegetables to your meals. Surely you have some recipes you like to make. Find creative ways to incorporate more vegetables into these recipes. For example, if you enjoy eating pasta with sauce, try adding your favorite vegetables into the sauce as you cook it. You can still eat what you want while getting the nutrients you need.
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day – Although sleeping in on the weekends sounds ideal, waking up at the same time each day will normalize your circadian rhythms, which will lead to less fatigue during the day. Going to bed at the same time is just as important, however, this may come with more difficulty. Try setting an alarm each night to remind yourself it is time to wind down for the evening. If you have an iPhone, there is a feature under the “Clock” app called “Bedtime” where you can set this alarm easily. Linked here are some additional sleep apps that may help you normalize your sleep schedule.
- Journal – Keeping yourself mentally healthy is one of the most important things you can do to improve your overall health. There are many ways to relax and unwind from the stresses caused by everyday life. Journaling is a great way to go about doing this. If you are unsure about journaling, try writing pen to paper for just five minutes each day about whatever is on your mind. Then, if you’d like, you can journal for longer as you become more comfortable with the routine. Keep your journal private so you can express your honest feelings. You can even throw away your journal entries after you’ve written them. Sometimes it can feel good to let your feelings out on the page and then rip up the paper when you’re done writing. Experiment with different methods of journaling to see what works best for you.
Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net